Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Wedding Quilt


As most of you know at this point, I have been working on a quilt for my best friend and her fiance. I got the idea to make a quilt in early January. I got out some graph paper, drew a pattern, bought some fabric, cut out some squares, and a few months later, I had a quilt! 

I should mention that this quilt was a surprise and it was so hard to keep it from Lauren and Nick for such a long time! The quilt took me 87 hours over the course of 3 and a half months. Would I do it again? Yes! I will be taking a break this summer, but I plan on making a quilt for myself sometime in the future.

I should give a shout out to my dear friend who helped me troubleshoot along the way. You helped me so much with this quilt, I could not have completed it without you. Thank you so much for all of your time and help!

Here is the quilt as it progressed from paper to Lauren's bridal shower gift...



The (not original) pattern. I had to rework it a few times, but this is the final pattern I used



I got to know these guys a little too well during this project. Many pricked fingers...


The fabrics I chose


First photo of the quilt


It's growing!








At this point, I had to move the couch to the side of the living room just to spread the quilt out on the ground. It is huge! (big enough for a king size bed!)


This (and the next photo) are what Carrie and I like to call the "square game." It's when we would work together to decide what squares should go where. It was actually more difficult than you might think. We had to make sure that the same fabrics were never too close to each other.





Pinning pieces together



The front is complete!



Working on the quilting part of it





A few details





 Finished the binding! I hand sewed around the back of the quilt (yes, it took a while)


It is complete!





A little personal touch on the back


 Wrapped up and ready to go. 


She loved it! 


Lauren and Nick spread the quilt out on his bed and sent me this photo. I love it! It's so cool to see it on the bed after working on it so long.




2 comments:

  1. That is gorgeous! can you teach me? i would love to make quilt!

    ReplyDelete