Friday, May 20, 2011

Finishing a Chapter

Before I fly to Ireland and begin the next chapter of my life, I feel that it is important to conclude the chapter I am in now.

I have spent the last two years being poured into by incredible professors and fellow students in the Human Services Program at Western Washington University. I wish there were words to effectively describe the Human Services Program and what it means to me, but I have yet to find them. At the end of the two year program, each student is required to create a capstone portfolio to showcase their learning throughout the program. The portfolios are due next week and many of us (students) have been sharing ours with each other. My friend Hallie's portfolio was exceptional and I loved the way she described one of her experiences in the Human Services Program. She said "Sometimes it's hard to describe the indescribable."

That pretty much sums up how I feel about the Human Services Program. To each of my professors, you've touched my life in ways I can't explain. To my fellow students, I will cherish all of the experiences we have had together. To Jane's junior core, I will miss our monochromatic nights and I look forward to our annual New York Pizza adventure. And to CHABAKKA, well, like Hallie said, "Sometimes it's hard to describe the indescribable."

It's hard to think about this chapter ending. It's been an amazing journey that far surpassed any and all expectations I had for a major. As I put on that funny cardboard hat in 22 days, a part of me will be sad to be leaving all of this behind. The other part of me will be so excited to start the next chapter: Ireland.

I invite you to take a look at my Human Services Capstone Portfolio if you'd like to get a glimpse of what I've been doing for the last two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment